Sunday, December 31, 2017

Looking Toward 2018


Webster's Dictionary defines "resolution" as being "a formal expression of opinion or intention..." but also "a decision or determination (to do something)".  It is well-known that most New Year's Resolutions fail.  US News and World Report famously wrote that 80% fail by the second week of February.  Those are bleak odds indeed.
There are lots of suspected reasons why, but for most of us a combination of factors is to blame.

One popular method for goal-setting is to use the SMART acronym.  That is, 
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely.  My previous employer, Salesforce.com, was very focused on a process called V2MOM, namely Vision, Values, Methods, Obstacles, Measurements.  This is a great way to ensure that your goals (vision) are aligned to your personal beliefs (values) and tied to specific actions (methods).  It also challenged us to consider what problems we could foresee (obstacles) and how we would numerically quantify our success (measurements).  This practice was followed from the CEO all the way down to each new graduate and is deeply embedded in the company cultural values.

Martial Arts is a great way to help build a track record of achievement for yourself.  We set regular goals and work together to achieve them, demonstrating our progress through the cycle testing every 3 months.  We are very fortunate in Kali Majapahit that Guro Fred Evrard's curriculum is well-defined and specific about the skills mastery of each level from white belt through several levels of black belt instructorship.  There is always something new to learn.  What we can learn in the dojo we can apply everywhere.  If we teach ourselves good habits like coming to class regularly and on-time, training hard, giving 100% and being focused on our outcomes we will progress.  Together.  I have seen this time and again with students I knew as white belts who are now capable, confident instructors.

As for me, 2017 was a year of tremendous change.  I bore it the best I could and I am closing the year with a lot of bumps and bruises (mind, body and soul).  But I am still standing, and that's what matters.  I am filled with gratitude for this wonderful life I have and my many friends and family in every circle to which I belong.  I am grateful for being able to do what I love, together with the people I respect.  I am truly blessed.  In 2018, no matter the challenges, I am hopeful it will be a better year and I will stay the course, step by step, with all of you.  Let's enjoy the journey.  Together.

So...let's bag this one and awaken tomorrow to New Possibilities for Us All...

LOVE, JOY, PEACE,

John

"Imagine where you will be and it will be so...Brothers, what we do in life...echoes in eternity."   --- Maximus Decimus Meridus  (Gladiator)  

No comments: